Monday 7 January 2013

Bruges / Boulogne-Sur-Mer


On the 18th December, 40 Year 8 and Year 9 students travelled to the city of Bruges in Belgium. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip as it gave me the chance to use my French language skills in and around the Christmas market. I was overwhelmed by the amazing architecture and the multicultural atmosphere that this city offered. The locals were very friendly and I enjoyed sampling the different varieties of food on offer at the market stalls. Although Flemisch is also spoken in Bruges, all of the people spoke French so I could still practice what I had learnt in lessons – ‘je voudrais’ being the most common phrase I used which helped improve my conversational skills. I personally found the day in Bruges extremely useful and I really enjoyed the first day and our stay at the Château d’Ebblinghem just outside Saint Omer in France. 
 
On the second day of the trip we set off from Château d’Ebblinghem early in the morning to go to the Nausicaa marine centre, where we completed a quiz based on ‘Biodiversity’, an activity I found useful and helpful to my Science studies. We arrived in Boulogne-Sur-Mer and almost instantly got a whiff of the fishy sea water, seeing as Boulogne is Europe’s largest commercial fishing port! The centre was very modern and had a good layout. There were plenty of different animals including sharks and swordfish. They also had lots of land animals such as crocodiles and birds and iguanas. I really enjoyed this experience. We then walked through Boulogne to the Old Town via Boulogne Cathedral. The Old town with its cobbled streets was quite quiet regarding the time of year! Nevertheless, I still enjoyed my time there because the old town was very historic. We then headed for Cité Europe, Europe’s largest shopping centre, before boarding our train to head home. It was an excellent experience and provided me with the opportunity to use my French language skills in a ‘real life’ situation.

Joe D.and Joe R. (Year 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment